Thursday, June 11, 2009

What a delight

Fairmont Hotels and Westin Hotel, Vancouver. They have got to be congratulated. I have just had a lovely conversation with chefs from each of these hotels who all say they have or are instigating a GF menu.

The famous afternoon teas at the Fairmont Hotels are already in place.

It is v. reassuring to know that these people care or know what is good for their business. I think that with the increase in Celiac D. sufferers they know which side of their rice free bread is buttered.

I am sure Aliya is going to be in heaven when we get there. I don't intend to say anything to her about the blueberry muffins, the lemon cake or any of it. It is going to be v. special. And it should be - it is costly!!! I just wish all hotels could afford to take as much care - although I do understand the financial constraints of catering to individuals as opposed to the masses.

And as for the nut allergy they didn't bat an eyelid.

I am sure it helps to pre-warn the chef what is coming! Here is the content of the GF business card I have created for Al as based on the one in the book I was recommended by the dietician at Calgary Children's hospital (The Gluten Free Chef - cooks what you crave ISBN - 978 0 9810161 0 8)

Print it out as a business card to be handed to the server and passed to the Chef. Apparently it is just what a chef would want to know about my daughter and her needs. The last thing a chef wants is for his food to make someone sick.

I am gluten intolerant. If I eat any food product, additive, stabilizer, starch or seasoning containing even a trace of most grains including wheat, oats, barley, rye, triticale, spelt, kamut, malt, or any derivatives of these grains, I will become ill. Please ensure that my food does not contain any of the ingredients listed above. I am able to eat foods containing potatoes, rice, corn, fruit, vegetables, meats, and fish. Please assist me in ordering a meal I can safely enjoy.

Unfortunately I am also allergic to all nuts. I can eat seeds and coconut.

Thank you very much.


No comments:

Post a Comment