Sunday, May 24, 2009

We are the Millson family - John (Geology and Marble Cake), Karin (Art and chocolate gingers), Daniel (High tech and Terry's Chocolate Orange) and Aliya (Botanist in the making and Fruit Queen). Today we begin on our road of sorting out a rather complicated diet. the CELIACERNUT diet....

This is a diet for vegetarians who also have Celiac Disease and try to keep a kosher house where one of the family has an allergy to nuts.

I challenge myself to make or find the foods that our family love within a Gluten free, (gf) vegetarian, somewhat kosher nut free diet.

Today I spent several hours trawling and now have begun my bookmarks' bar for: Celiac Recipes (self explanatory). Celiac Associations and "Others" (like the website that created by children with Celiacs). Wow what a lot of hours people have devoted to finding out and documenting stuff to help people with these difficulties.

Hmmm.... I wonder how we will cope and what we will become. I have seen online: moneymakers, educators, concerned parents and wonderful volunteers and the self proclaimed over the toppers.

I already feel the pressure to clear the kitchen to remove all traces of Gluten... Do I really have to throw away all cutting boards and what of my best friend in the kitchen - Ken More (The Kenwood, to those of you in Britain)? but since we have lived with nut allergies and vegetarianism for years and managed not to over react, I think we will stay on a level footing.

As a Jewish girl I was brought up to read food labels with care - to avoid gelatin mainly... today people in a similar position have to look out for so many additives that contain non-kosher items. This I have not been doing and our lives have been the simpler for it. Now, I realise we have to take on that task, and more, to avoid Gluten in all its disguises.

I want to note here the work of Karina Allrich, gluten free goddess indeed, who doesn't realise quite how encouraging she has been to me today and probably to our family over the coming months. Thanks Karina. Your slide show has shown me that I can continue to create food that is art. I can continue to follow the path Molly Katzen and the Moosewood Cookbook as in The Enchanted Broccoli Forest and Stone's Spells for Magic Feasts and other favourite cook books of mine.

I think this is the beginning of a great adventure. Thanks to everyone who has already and certainly will, in the future, help us along this road.

No comments:

Post a Comment