Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Gluten in Vanilla essence - your kidding me

I have found myself in a supermarket a day... that is my target to visit a new one each day in my search for gluten free products.
So I have visited Community, Planet Organic and Amaranth...
Each day I try to find something that Aliya WILL like as opposed to something I think she might like. So now we have gummy bears GF, vanilla doughnuts GF and cinnamon granola breakfast GF... she seems happy enough.

The five minute chocolate cake in a mug that I made for her dessert last night was disgusting. And we had better leave it at that.

Today I made my sisters "favourite chocolate orange cake" a recipe for Pesach which uses potato flour instead of wheat flour. and none of the Xanophilic gums... (just a joke... referring to the number of ingredients with strange names, that one appears to need to make a good baking flour. the house is now filled with a lovely smell, but how will it taste??? tomorrow we will know.

Also each day I have tried to clear some area of the kitchen of gluten products. Some have a lot of gluten... Wheatgerm, bran... and some a little... icing sugar, cocoa powder, raisins! and some well... I just don't know where the gluten is but apparently there is some in vanilla essence.

Added to my daily chores are daily visits to the Calgary Laboratory on street 1A...i think that street is like Diagon Alley in that you can find everything there... and it is a bit Diagonal the way it meanders instead of the usual American N-S or E-W run of streets. So Monday - went there to see if I need a form before i could get a test (someone had told me I didn't need a form - Wrong)... Tuesday I go the form and my test. Wed Dan's test.... I will just gather folks off the street to take tomorrow.

Discovery of the day - Tuesday
You can claim for GF foods against tax in Alberta

Discovery of the day - Wednesday
"Tapioca flour is good for thickening soups, sauces and dips, pie fillings and puddings. and it is great for GF baking as it lends a springy texture promotes browning and makes crispy crusts." from Bob's Red Mill packet of Tapioca flour.

Actually Bob's is a great website and I found this table of how much Xanthan gum to use which might help later on as I get more familiar with recipes.
And if that is scary enough maybe this table of flour substitutions will do it for you.

But on the other hand Bob does have a large number of GF recipes - just select GF under the recipe search from the top red menu bar.

No comments:

Post a Comment