Thursday, May 28, 2009

Salad severs, choc orange cake and death to gluten

The Pesach chocolate cake was a success and so easy peasy.

Deborah's Favourite chocolate orange cake (For Pesach and GF)

3 eggs
3oz castor sugar
2 1/2 oz potato flour
1/2 oz cocoa powder
1 oz melted butter
Rind 1/4 orange
1tbsp orange juice

Whisk eggs and sugar over hot water till thick and creamy, then whisk without the water till cold
Sieve the dry ingredients and fold in 3/4
Add melted butter
fold in remaining flour and orange peel
Fold in orange juice

Put into 2 sandwich tins lines with silicon paper (7")
Bake at 350F, No. 4 for 20 - 30 mins
When cold sandwich with chocolate orange cream

Chocolate orange cream
11/2 oz butter (softened)
3oz icing sugar
1 tbsp cocoa powder
3 tsp orange juice

Cream butter and sugar
beat in cocoa and orange juice

Thanks Deborah.
We (Daniel, Aliya, Bailey and I ate this Al fresco - at 23 degrees C in lovely sunshine as an afternoon treat.

Went to the Library today and got out two of their 3 books on celiac cooking, I will mention their titles if I find them useful.  Found a recipe for Challah!!! Not holding my breath.Bailey's friend, who has been celiac for 6-7 years is writing a cookery book.... I hope she lets me have her best bread recipe soon.

Amazing fact of the day:
I will have to change my salad servers, not because the old ones have a crack down the middle... but because they have touched Caesars dressing which contains gluten.  Whatever will I learn next?

Question of the day:
Does gluten die... I mean if I keep my toaster for a year, then will it be kosher as far as gluten is concerned?

No comments:

Post a Comment